What is PREPARE/ENRICH?
PREPARE/ENRICH is a customized couple assessment completed online that identifies a couple's strength and growth areas. It is one of the most widely used programs for premarital counseling and premarital education. It is also used for marriage counseling, marriage enrichment, and dating couples considering engagement. Based on a couple's assessment results, a trained facilitator provides 4-8 feedback sessions in which the facilitator helps the couple discuss and understand their results as they are taught proven relationship skills.
"Overall PREPARE/ENRICH is an excellent tool with substantial evidence supporting its reliability and
validity of its scores and their uses. It can be used effectively to improve couple relationships."
– Mental Measurements Yearbook, 2017
Recently, PREPARE/ENRICH was reviewed in the Twentieth Edition of the Mental Measurements Yearbook (2017), which is the most widely acclaimed reference series in education and psychology, designed to assist professionals in selecting and using standardized assessments.
Please Make a Selection Below:
We provide Couples Counseling
Using Prepare Enrich with Re-Marriages
Over the last 30 years, the PREPARE/ENRICH relationship assessment has empowered and energized more than 3 million couples. We're the #1 relationship inventory and couple's assessment tool.
Married Couples in Blended Families
Signs You Need to Visit a Couples Counselor or Coach
There are several clues that will help you determine if you need help in working on and improving your relationship. Some trigger points and behaviors include the following:
- You have communication issues with your partner. Some examples of these problems include you and your partner not speaking to each other, or one of you doesn’t feel like you are not being heard.
- Your conversations are always negative, belittling, or demeaning.
- You are afraid to talk or bring up issues with your partner. These problems could be about money, annoying habits that are being blown out of proportion, or about your sex life shifting negatively.
- Your partner withholds affection as a form of punishment.
- You are keeping secrets to control others.
- You are contemplating or already having an affair.
- You have trust issues with your partner. After the trust is broken, relationships may be harmed or even destroyed.
- You and your partner are arguing over finances.
- You feel like everything will be okay if your partner changes.
- You are leading separate lives even though you reside in the same house.
- You develop negative habits, such as having temper or anger management issues, using illegal drugs, or getting addicted to pornography, which are becoming habitual and obsessive.
- You and your partner repeatedly argue about the same little things.
- You have ongoing, unresolved relationship issues.
- You feel like saving your marriage is hopeless.
- You are not eager to come home to your partner anymore.
Technology and Digital Age Issues
There are several ways that technology may infiltrate and affect your relationship. These include social networking programs, such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and Snapchat as well as texting and sexting.
Communicating with your partner through social media has its pros and cons. Couples often have conflicts regarding who to “friend,” what to “like,” and who to text, block, or chat.
Communication that is not done face-to-face or on the phone is difficult in a relationship because no matter how many emojis are used, your word may be misconstrued and misread. An individual’s tone of voice and body language are important when trying to understand messages that are being conveyed.
Through our relationship counseling or coaching, we will help couples work through the problems that technology has caused. We will also help you and your partner create boundaries with each other to help restore trust after social media has hurt your relationship.
Why All Couples Should Consider Premarital Counseling or Coaching
There are several concerns that couples should address before deciding to tie the knot. A premarital counseling session offers a perfect place to freely discuss these issues and start important conversations between partners.
You can talk about your finances—whether you and your partner will share bank accounts or what items you should purchase. Consider household duties if you have children, if you are blending families, or if you are in a nontraditional relationship. It could also be beneficial to discuss what roles your in-laws will play in your life.
What are the major goals of the PREPARE/ENRICH Program?
There are several goals of the PREPARE/ENRICH Program. In order to achieve these goals there are exercises designed to help couples improve their relationship skills. The program helps couples:
Explore strength and growth areas
Strengthen communication skills
Identify and manage major stressors
Resolve conflict using the Ten Step Model
Develop a more balanced relationship
Explore family of origin issues
Discuss financial planning and budgeting
Establish personal, couple and family goals
Understand and appreciate personality differences
Using Prepare/Enrich with Remarriages (Brief Overview)
What relationship areas are assessed by the Inventory/quiz?
12 Relationship Scales -- communication, conflict resolution, roles, sexuality, finances, spiritual beliefs and more
5 SCOPE Personality Scales
4 Couple and Family Scales -- based on the Circumplex Model
4 Relationship Dynamic Scales
30 Customized Scales
We offer Couples Counseling in Houston, Texas and via skype!
Is the PREPARE/ENRICH Program valid & reliable?
An important strength of the PREPARE/ENRICH Inventory is their strong psychometric properties. High levels of reliability and validity have been found for each instrument, making them valuable tools for research as well as clinical use.
National Norms based on over 500,000 couples
High Levels of Validity and Reliability
PREPARE has validity in that it discriminates premarital couples that get divorced from those that are happily married with about 80-85% accuracy. Reliability is high (alpha reliability of .80 - .85).
Who uses PREPARE/ENRICH?
The inventory has been utilized by over 100,000 trained clergy members, professional counselors/life coaches, mentors, and marriage educators throughout the U.S.
Over 3 million couples have taken a PREPARE/ENRICH inventory and worked through their results under the guidance of one of our trained facilitators.